Previous | Home | Next

Volodymyr Hill has become one of the most significant places of Kiev, many songs and verses have been dedicated to it in many paintings and photographs. However, the contemporary name appeared only in mid-19th century. Before that, the Hill was called Saint Michael (Mykhailivsky) Hill due to the monastery which stood at the top.
Arrangements of the hill greenery took place in 1830-40s. After, natural terraces got defiant shapes, soon the foliage was also reorganized, and the Park appeared.
The centre of the park is thought to be King Volodymyr the Great monument, opened in 1853. It gave the name to the hill. The monument was created by sculptors Demut-Malinovsky , Klodt and architect Ton.