|Previous | Home | Next
The largest in the whole empire (the third set in Kiev), Alexander II monument was unveiled and dedicated on the official Tsar Square (now - European Square) in downtown.
The idea italskoho sculptor Ettore Ksymenesa (it was his project won the international competition) was charmingly embodied in bronze and granite. 200 000 rubles Russia gathered for this memorial. In 1911 the country celebrated the anniversary of the formal release of half a century peasants in the Great Reforms. Monument to show that fact. Multi-piece had three pedestals. At the central bronze figure of the emperor. He stood nakynuvshy shoulder gown, one arm leaning on a low armchair. Here was a great relief: the peasants, who thanked the king for relief from serfdom dependency.
The central pedestal adorned the arms of the Russian Empire - two-headed eagle, and the laconic inscription: "King of the Liberator - grateful Southwest region. 1911. By the side pedestals were assigned sculptures with figures Mercy and Justice. All three pedestals were combined broad pediment with bas-reliefs depicting some moments in the life of the monarch and the state.
Stone of the pedestal was made of pink granite steps leading to the pedestal - with gray. In speeches side steps installed bronze royal crown.
So, August 30, 1911 in the presence of Nicholas II, Prime Minister PA Stolypin, was promoted to Attorney Sablera Holy Synod, chief of gendarmes Kurlova, Minister of Education Kass, the son and heir to the Bulgarian king Ferdinand and a host of other dignitaries, representatives of the Austro-Hungarian, Belgian, British, Germans, Greek, Italian, Persian, Portuguese, French, Swedish and Swiss consulates, there is a huge cluster of people with loyalist memorial dropped veil.
After the proletarian government in Kiev has been reset all the metal parts of the monument. Bronze pedestal to mid thirties used as a decorative entrance to the proletarian, later - the pioneer garden.