The Nicholas Chain Bridge (or Nikolaevsky Chain Bridge) was designed by Irish engineer Charles Blacker Vignoles. Construction started in 1848 and was completed in 1855. The 776 m long bridge was the largest at that time in Europe.
In 1920, during the Polish-Soviet War, the bridge was blown up by retreating Polish troops. It was restored based on old drawings by Evgeny Paton and opened again in 1925 under the name Evhenii Bosh Bridge. Paton had significantly changed its structure and raised it by several metres, so that the Evhenii Bosh Bridge may be considered as a new bridge.
On 19 September 1941 Evhenii Bosh Bridge was demolished by retreating Soviet troops and was never restored after the war. In 1965 in place of the former chain bridge a new Kiev Metro Bridge was built.