|Previous | Home | Next
|ST. NICHOLAS'S CHURCH AT ASKOLD'S GRAVE. 1809. Kyiv
According to legend, in this place Prince Oleg killed Kyivan Princes Askold and Dir in 882. Later a wooden church was built here. In 1809-1810, architect A. Melensky built a brick church-rotunda. In 1846, Taras Shevchenko visited Kyiv and made a drawing of the church Askold's Grave. The drawing indicates that in front of the church a cemetery was located. In 1918, there were buried students who fell in battle at Kruty. In 1934 the cemetery was ruined by order of V. Zatonsky. The church was repeatedly reconstructed and its function changed. In the 1990s, it was restored and its original function returned. The church presents a cylinder with a hemispherical dome and a colonnade around, a typical specimen of neo-classical rotunda churches.