|Previous | Home | Next
|CATHEDRAL OF THE ARCHANGEL MICHAEL IN THE ARCHANGEL MICHAEL'S MONASTERY OF THE GOLDEN DOMES.Early. 12th, 20th cc. Kyiv
The cathedral was founded by Prince Sviatopolk Iziaslavych In 1108. The consecration took place probably in 1114. It was a cross-domed, four-pier church with three apses and the narthex, typical of Kyivan Rus. The Interior of the cathedral was lavishly decorated with frescos and mosaics. Only a small part of them has survived and is preserved now in the museums of Ukraine and Russia. At the turn of the 18th c. and in the mid-18th c, the cathedral was considerably reconstructed, thus gaining an ornate Baroque appearance. By Its architectural and plastic forms, the cathedral became one of the finest masterpieces of Ukrainian Baroque architecture at that time. With the transference of the Ukrainian capital from Kharkiv to Kyiv the further fate of the cathedral turned tragic. In 1935, it was dismantled. By drawings and iconographic materials the cathedral was re-created In the Baroque forms in the late 20th c.