|Previous | Home | Next
|BELL TOWER OF THE ST. SOPHIA MONASTERY.1698-1748. Kyiv
The bell tower is a compositional dominant of the monastery complex. Originally, it was a three-tier structure. Partly ruined by an earthquake, the bell tower was reconstructed in 1744-1748, probably under the supervision of architect J. G. Schädel. The structure acquired its contemporary appearance in 1851-1852, when the fourth tier with a tall pear-like dome was added after the design of architect P. Sparro. Its height totals 76 m. The time of its reconstruction influenced the character of the stuccowork on the bell tower.